BEST VIEWED LARGER
Gundagai is situated on the eastern outskirts of the Riverina district about 100 kilometres southwest of Yass on the Hume Highway, the main inland route from Sydney to Melbourne. The Murrumbidgee River, which flows through Gundagai, played a major role in the town’s history with its vast alluvial flats on the northern side attracting early migrant settlers with fertile grazing and agricultural land.
The railway bridge, erected in 1901, heads off to the south-west from this point while the Prince Alfred Bridge extends southwards over Morley Creek and the Murrumbidgee. Work started on the road bridge in 1866 and it was opened in 1867, although it was not completed until 1869. The iron section spans the river proper while the approaches over the river flats are of timber. The piers were cast at the country’s first foundry, at Mittagong. Possibly the first wrought-iron truss bridge in NSW it was, at the time, one of the longest in the state. New spans were added from 1896-99 to take it right across the flat, tripling its length. It was part of the old Hume Highway until 1976 and is now open to pedestrian traffic only.
Eqipment: D300, Sigma 10-20mm lens, 5 bracketted images, processed with Photomatix , a slight fine tune in Capture NX