The romantic ruins of a royal castle overlooking the Essex marshes. Hadleigh was begun in about 1215 by Hubert de Burgh, but extensively refortified by Edward III during the Hundred Years War, becoming a favourite residence of the ageing king.
The barbican and two striking drum towers – one later used by Georgian revenue men looking out for smugglers – are part of Edward’s substantial building works during the 1360s.
Now managed by English Heritage.
Canon EOS1000D RAW processed using Topaz Adjust and textured in Photoshop CS5