Ypres Tower, Rye, East Sussex.
Canon EOS1000D RAW image processed using Topaz Adjust in Photoshop CS5
The Ypres Tower in Rye is the earliest remaining fortification dating from 1249. Rye’s defences were strengthened with stone walls and 4 gateways in the 14th century after the town was destroyed in 1377 but of these only the Tower and the Landgate still stand. The tower, originally known as Baddings Tower, was used from 1494 until 1891 as a prison but since 1954 it has housed the town’s museum.There are no remains of the original Norman Castle.