The Shell Hoist in Grain Fort.
Grain Fort was one of a number of forts built to defend the Thames Estuary. It was built between 1861 and 1868 and consisted of a polygonal earthwork around a central semi-circular keep. There was an outer ditch with four caponiers and a second inner ditch between the earthwork and the keep defended by a further five caponiers. The main magazine was located beneath the keep with tunnels linking to the caponiers and the ammunition lift to the gun emplacements above. There is a hand cranked cartridge lift for the 10 inch H.P.B.L. (installed around 1895) still in situ.
Canon EOS1000D RAW processed using Topaz Adjust in Photoshop CS5 texture from Shadowhouse Creations