St Mary Magdalene, Ruckinge, Kent, UK
Canon EOS1000D RAW image processed using Topaz Adjust in Photoshop CS5
St Mary Magdalene Church stands high on the clay hills that separate
Romney Marsh and the Weald, this Norman church stands on the site of an earlier Saxon Church. Parts of the current church are dated from the 12th century with many later additions. Interesting features at this church include the Norman arch at the entrance to the Lady Chapel, the remains of an aumbry, fragments of 14th century windows, a 16th century font and the ‘L’ shaped choir stalls. Within the 12th century tower are five bells, four of which were cast in 1721 by Samuel Knight and John Waylett, the tenor was added in 1740 after being cast by Peter Wendall Richard Lonkhurs of Lester. On either side of the south door is a scratch dial. In the churchyard is a rough wooden plank which is believed to mark the graves of two people, William and Jane Ramsey, thought to be smugglers and highwaymen who were hung near Maidstone in 1800. 100 yards to the south east of the church is the first datum line stone placed by the Ordnance Survey in 1793.