Fuji Finepix S5500 processed in Topaz in Photoshop CS5.
Lit by a shaft of sunlight through the storm clouds the west wall is all that remains of Midley Church.
On a small island in the middle (hence Midley) of the Romney Marsh in Kent, UK it now stands forgotten in the fields.
In 1799 historian Edward Hasted wrote
This PARISH is much like that of St. Maries lastdescribed. There are only three or four houses in it. The ruins of the church stand among the marshes, on a small knoll of a hill, having no road leading to them. The lands in it are very fertile. It lies about a mile and an half from Lid church, and about as much from that of Old Romney, to which parish it Joins, but the bounds between these two parishes have not been perambulated for these many years, and are now supposed to be totally lost.
The church has been for many years in ruins. It appears to have been very small, only the west end and a small part of the south wall are remaining. It was built mostly with an antient yellowish brick, and some few stones intermixed. The arch over the west door is gothic.
This church was formerly appurtenant to the manor of Midley above-mentioned, and continued so in king Edward VI.‘s reign, in the 3d year of which, anno 1548, William, lord Windsor, exchanged the advowson and patronage of this church with archbishop Cranmer, for that of Riceborough Monachorum, in Buckinghamshire, for the term of ninety-nine years. Which exchange was with the consent of the dean and chapter of Canterbury. (fn. 3) Notwithstanding which, I find that the archbishop presented to this church, as appears by the books of induction to it, on three succeeding vacancies, from the years 1595 to 1629; but on the next vacancy, which happened in 1669, it was of the patronage of Allen Cliffe, esq. of London, who sold the advowson of it in king Charles II.’s reign to Henry Eve, S. T. P. in whose descendants it continued, in like manner as the patronage of the church of Buckland, near Faversham, till the year 1754, when two thirds of the advowson of this church, being two succeeding turns of the presentation to it, were sold to Mr. John Unwin, of London, who now possesses them. But the remaining third part of it, being the third turn of presentation, remained with Mr. Charles Eve, gent. of Hoxton-square, who lately died possessed of it; since which it has passed to the Rev. Dr. John Jenner, the present proprietor of it.