St. Paul’s Anglican Church sits on the site of the first church built in New Zealand in 1823. This church dates from 1925 and is built of local stone
carried by many dinghy trips rowed across the water from Russell, a distance of approximately 2 km’s.
In the church grounds also lies the monument to Henry and Marianne Williams. They arrived in this area in 1823 and Henry helped build the first church and started a mission station.
St. Paul’s is on the waterfront at Paihia in the Bay of Islands and looks across the harbour to Russell which was the site of the first capital of N.Z. although it was for a short time only. It is a lovely church both inside and out.