The oldest European stone building in NZ is the Kerikeri Mission store built in 1832-36 although Kemp House which was the Mission house is only a few yards distant and is older but made of wood. This dates from 1821-22.
After the Mission closed in 1848 it was taken over
by the Kemp family and the store was leased to a
succession of storekeepers. In 1976 the NZ Historic Places Trust purchased the buildings and have completely restored them to original condition. They are now open to the public.