St Paul’s Anglican church is built on the site of the first church to be built in New Zealand, it is situated on the beach front at Paihia, Bay of Islands.
The entire church is built of the local stone and is quite distinctive.
The first church built here was in 1823 and another more permanent building in 1825, The present and 5th was built in 1925.
This church is also a memorial to Henry Williams and his wife Marianne who arrived in NZ to start a mission station (1823) in the Bay of Islands, they were joined by Henry’s brother William in 1826.
The first Organ in New Zealand also arrived here in 1830.