As a Firefighter, I have sent the following email to our fire chiefs for their comments and actions and would be intererested on any experiences Redbubblers have had in relation to the below email also.
Having teenage daughters the current new hairstyle craze is Hair Straighteners, and after leaving my thumbprint on a left on Hair Straightener this morning made me think of how dangerous these items really are.
Heres a promotion clip regarding the fingerprint stealing item we have here at home :
Paul Brown Hawaii has created its high grade PTFC ceramic heater Flat Iron which has infrared heat and will go up to 450 degrees in heat, perfect for styling hair damp or dry. The iron removes the natural texture of your hair, transforming it into straight smooth and beautifully shiny flat hair.
My concerns are:
This straightener heats up to 450 F or 210 Degress C !
It is mainly used in a bathroom, where the majority of women not only use tissues, cotton wool and let alone their bedroom attire like satins and silks like my lot do.
Add to this that these items dont have a cut out switch if left on, nor do they have some sort of stand to allow these machines to sit in a somewhat safe position despite the one we have here costing $300.00
Currently my girls leave this machine sitting flat on the bench just waiting to steal my other fingerprints !!! Yes I have told them not to leave this item on, But teenagers are flat out thinking about boys, parties and their wardrobe contents.
I pose the following questions :
Have there been any fire related incidents involving "Left on Hair Straighteners ?
Is there concerns from Authorities regarding the Heat these items produce and these machines not having any sort of fail safe
Should a product alert be placed in the community (If this hasnt been done already ) to highlight the problems with these Hair straighteners being left unattended ?
Your thoughts on this would be appreciated,
Meanwhile Im going to bathe my thumb and yell obcenities and the PAUL BROWN HAIR STRAIGHTENER in our bathroom again.