North Melbourne Football Ground
In early 1925, North Melbourne was finally admitted to the VFL. The invitation to join the VFL came at a time when local support for the club was at an all-time high prompting further upgrading of facilities. This included the construction of the main grandstand in 1928, with seating for 2,000 spectators.
Until the late 1960s, these two grandstands were the only major structures associated with the Recreation Reserve, until the construction of the new administration building and Social Club after 1966.1
The North Melbourne Football Club continued to use the site as its home ground until 1985, when the club began using the Melbourne Cricket Ground for its home matches. The last VFL match was played there on the 17th of August 1985 when North Melbourne played Richmond. North won by 50 points. The Arden Street Oval is now used only as a Training Base for the Club. The club administration moved to offices at Docklands Stadium in 2002.
The record attendance at the ground is 35,116 in 1949. The highest score was North Melbourne’s 29.19 (193) in 1983 versus Carlton.