It look a long time to get a great sky to outline this marvelous courthouse.
Hill County Courthouse – , Hill County, Texas
Texas Historic Marker #: 5217002481
Hill County Courthouse – The fourth courthouse for Hill County (organized in 1853) and the third one located in Hillsboro, this impressive landmark replaced a brick court building erected in 1874. Contractors Lovell, Miller and Hood of Brownsville built this rusticated limestone structure in 1890. Waco architect W. C. Dodson, who designed a number of public buildings, planned the modified French Second Empire styling. The three-story courthouse is topped by a seven-story clock tower. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1964
On the night of Jan. 1, 1993, the Hill County Courthouse caught fire, and firefighters from more than 15 companies could not save it. The grand clock tower, the roof, and the third floor collapsed as onlookers cried. An important part of Hill County history went up in smoke. Only a shell of a building remained.
Hill County’s native son, Country & Western Superstar, Willie Nelson came to town and held an impromptu fundraising concert. As no time was devoted to promoting this concert, the funds raised fell far short of raising the funds needed to rebuild.
After the reconstruction was completed, a lady at the Chamber of Commerce requested permission from county commissioners to hold another fundraiser with Willie Nelson in downtown Hillsboro. The commissioners gave her the go ahead.
Better promotion increased ticket sales and Elm Street, east of the courthouse was barricaded off, a stage set up at the east end of the street, and several thousand folding chairs were set up in the street. Willie and several of his musician friends assisted in raising the funds to pay off the debt for rebuilding the courthouse.
Canon EOS Rebel T1i
Tokino 18-28 mm lens
Tripod, 3 images, processed in Photomatix Pro 3.2