wikipedia: Originally, Lincoln Road was covered by a forest of mangroves, as was most of Miami Beach. Around 1912, Carl Fisher had Lincoln Road cleared and it eventually became the town’s social center. Fisher, himself, maintained a real estate office on Lincoln Road. Over time, Lincoln Road featured premium retail destinations.
Around 1960, Miami Beach architect Morris Lapidus, whose credits include Miami Beach’s Fountainebleau and Eden Roc hotels, was commissioned to redesign Lincoln Road. Lapidus’s design for Lincoln Road, complete with gardens, fountains, shelters and an amphitheater, reflected the Miami Modern Architecture, or “MiMo”, style that Lapidus pioneered in the 1950s. The Road was closed to traffic and became one of the nation’s first pedestrian malls.