A Little Piece of London
Number of views as of 9th December 2013 = 190.
This Clock Tower was designed as a memorial to the Duke of Wellington and was built in 1854 at the southern approach to London Bridge.
After becoming something of a ‘traffic hazard’, it was removed and re-erected on its present site in Swanage, Dorset in 1867/68 by local entrepreneurs John Mowlem and his nephew George Burt.
Mowlem’s business was importing stone into the city of London from around the country, including Purbeck limestone transported by boat from Swanage.
Around the same time, various relics and monuments (including the clock tower) were brought from London to Swanage, supposedly used as ballast for the empty vessels which transported the Purbeck stone to London.
Date: 1st January 2013.