Peel Castle, Peel, Isle Of Man
Number of views as of 16th March 2014 = 620.
Originally constructed by the Vikings, Peel Castle stands on St Patrick’s Isle, which is connected to the town by a causeway. The buildings within the castle are now mostly ruined, but the outer walls remain intact.
Begun in the 11th century, the first Viking fortifications were made of wood. The majority of the walls and towers were built from local red sandstone in the early 14th century.
An unusual feature is the cathedral of St German (pictured), built entirely within the castle walls – this continued to be used well into the 18th century.
The castle remained fortified and new defensive positions were added as late as 1860.
The castle’s most famous “resident” is the so called “Moddey Dhoo” or Black Dog ghost.
The castle is owned by Manx National Heritage and is open to visitors during the summer months.
Date: 31st July 2009.
Click here to view Isle of Man 2010 calendar