Number of views as of 24th November 2013 = 590.
This little engine is one of the stars of the Groudle Glen narrow gauge railway line on the Isle Of Man, “the line that goes uphill to the sea”.
The railway has had a chequered history. It was originally opened in July 1896 to carry passengers between Lhen Coan, close to the popular Groudle Glen Hotel and Sea Lion Rocks, the site of a small zoo.
The railway was closed during the First and Second World Wars, and for a period in the late fifties / early sixties. It closed again in 1963 and between 1967 and 1970 the line was completely dismantled.
Restoration began in 1982 by a group of volunteers, the ‘Isle of Man Steam Railway Supporters’ Association’. The line was re-opened in May 1986 and is operated entirely by voluntary staff.
The railway has two steam engines ‘Sea Lion’ and ‘Annie’, two diesel locomotives ‘Dolphin’ and ‘Walrus’, and the battery operated ‘Polar Bear’.
Trains run on Sundays from May to September, there are evening services during the summer months, and special events at Easter and Christmas.
Date: 2nd August 2009.
Click here to view Isle of Man 2010 calendar