Campanile San Marco and Doge’s Palace, Venice
Number of views as of 23rd June 2016 = 1300.
St Mark’s Campanile, the bell tower of St Mark’s Basilica in Venice, is located in a corner of St Mark’s square and is a recognizable symbol of the city.
The tower is 98.6 meters tall, and is capped by a pyramidal spire, at the top of which sits a golden weathervane in the form of the archangel Gabriel. The campanile reached its present form in 1514. As it stands today, however, the tower is a reconstruction, completed in 1912 after the collapse of 1902.
The Doge’s Palace (Palazzo Ducale di Venezia) was the residence of the Doge of Venice. The current palace was largely constructed between 1309 to 1424, designed perhaps by Filippo Calendario. It replaced earlier fortified buildings of which relatively little is known.
The palace was badly damaged by fire in 1574. In the subsequent rebuilding work it was decided to respect the original gothic style.
Date: 27th August 2007.