Number of views as of 18th July 2015 = 1800.
The story of Bournemouth Pier begins in December 1847, when it was proposed that a company be formed to raise the £2,000 needed to fund the construction of a new pier. The initial scheme fell through due to lack of finance, and so it was decided to build a small jetty instead. The jetty was opened in 1856, but was damaged by a storm in August of that same year and had to be demolished.
In 1859, a 1,000 foot (over 300 metres) long wooden pier was designed, and this structure was completed and officially opened in September 1861 at a cost of £3418. Unfortunately, the wooden piles of the pier were attacked by the marine teredo worm, which weakened the piles to such an extent that a third of it was washed away only 5 years later.
In 1878 work began on the design for an iron replacement, and this new pier was opened in August 1880, at a cost of £21,600. This new pier was 835 feet in length, although extensions in 1894 and 1905 took it up to 1000 feet. The ornate entrance building boasted a clock tower, while on the pier itself there was a concert area, tea house and gift shop.
Following defence usage during the Second World War, the pier was re-opened in August 1945 and fully repaired between 1946 and 1950. In 1960 an 850 seat pavilion (the Pier Theatre) was added, which became a popular summer show attraction.
Between 1979 and 1981 the pier was extensively rebuilt in concrete at a cost of £1.7 million, which included a two-storey leisure centre (amusement arcade) at the entrance, part of which is now a restaurant.
During the summer months, boat trips run from the pier to Poole, Swanage and other destinations.
Date: 22nd April 2008.