*© 2010 RC deWinter ~ All Rights Reserved
A retired New Haven Railroad train approaches the 19th-century station in Thomaston, Connecticut.
The station was built in 1881 and became a stop on the the old Naugatuck line. The last actual passenger train left the station in 1958, and the station was abandoned. In 1993 vandals set the station ablaze; the damage was devastating to the station and its surrounding structures.
In 1996, the Railroad Museum of New England re-opened the line as a subsidiary of the existing Naugatuck spur; restoration on the station was begun in 1997 and is ongoing, although the major portion of the work has been completed for over a decade. Now one can visit the museum, ride the restored rolling stock and enjoy the refurbished station and grounds.
Digital oils on a fiber-paper textured background; from an original photograph shot in September 2002.*