© 2009 RC deWinter ~ All Rights Reserved ~~ The training ship ‘Joseph Conrad’ rocks on the gentle waves in Mystic Harbor.
Originally built in Denmark in 1882 and named the ‘Georg Stage’, she was used to train cadets until she was sold in 1934 to Alan Villiers and Englishman who renamed the ship the ‘Joseph Conrad’, after the sailor and author; Conrad served as a French merchant marine and a British merchant sailor and wrote many stories of the seafaring life.
Villiers, flying the British flag, sailed her round the world on a voyage of 58,000 miles, which lasted more than two years. Upon the return of the ‘Joseph Conrad’, millionaire George Huntington Hartford bought her and refitted the ship as a private racing yacht. In 1939, Hartford transferred ownership to the U.S. Maritime Commission, which used her once again a training ship. The ‘Joseph Conrad’ was retired in 1945. After two years in dry dock, she was deeded to Mystic Seaport by an act of Congress.
Today, Mystic displays the ship as both an exhibit and a training vessel in its Mystic Mariner Program and other educational projects.
Digital painting with a Pointillist influence after an original photograph shot in August 2009.