*© 2009 RC deWinter ~ All Rights Reserved
A view of the American fishing schooner, the ‘L.A. Dunton’, through the rippled and refracted drawn glass of the early 19th century.
Popularly known as a ‘Gloucester fisherman’, the ship was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1994 and has been fully restored to her original specifications. She is one of four National Historic Landmark ships berthed at the Mystic (Connecticut) Seaport.
The ‘L.A. Dunton’ was built in Essex, Massachusetts in 1921 and, when launched, was one of the last large fishing schooners powered only by sail.
Used for catching haddock and halibut, her cargoes were landed in Boston. In 1923, a 100-hp engine was added to augment her power.
In 1934 the ‘L.A. Dunton’ was sold to a Newfoundland, Canada consortium and was thereafter used to haul cargo as well as to fish. During this time she was turned into a motor-powered vessel, with her sails used only for auxiliary power.
Today the ‘L.A. Dunton’ is once again a a sail-powered Gloucester fisherman. Her motor removed, her stern design corrected to the original configuration and her structural integrity repaired, the ‘L.A. Dunton’ is now one of the best remaining examples of the classic American fishing schooner.
Digitally oil-painted from an original photograph shot in August of 2009.*