St Wulfram’s Church Grantham, England.
Canon 5D mk2
Featured in “Religious Art and Photography” September 2011
St Wulfram’s Church, Grantham is a parish church in the Church of England in Grantham in Lincolnshire.
In his book, England’s Thousand Best Churches, Simon Jenkins describes St Wulfram’s Church as having the finest steeple in England.
The church is dominated by its spire, 282 feet (86 m) high. It is
the sixth highest in the country.
the fourth highest of any parish church in the UK, after Church of St. Walburge, Preston, St. James Church, Louth, and St Mary Redcliffe.
the third highest of any Anglican parish church in the UK, after St. James Church, Louth and St Mary Redcliffe,
the second highest in Lincolnshire (after St. James Church, Louth).
The church is also home to the country’s first public library. In 1598, Francis Trigge, the rector of Welbourn gave £100 for a small library of books for the clergy and literate laity of Grantham. Two hundred and fifty of the original volumes remain and are kept in the parish church.
The organ dates from 1736 by John Harris and John Byfield but has had several re-builds including those by George Pike England in 1809, and 1833, Forster and Andrews between 1845 and 1868, Norman and Beard in 1906 and Rushworth and Dreaper in 1952, Cousans in 1972, and by Wood in 1994.
The current organ specification can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register