Eastgate has seen many changes since it was first part of the defensive system of the town in the twelfth century. The small chapel of St. Peter’s perched on top of it, dated to the mid 15th century, but was in a ruinous state by 1571. The ancient monument’s clock tower is difficult to access and repair has been neglected, resulting in the clock permanently standing at seven minutes to three. Its three large rooms from 1879 until recently were used as classrooms by the adjoining King’s High School for Girls.
Taken with Canon 50D