Featured in “Country Churches and Schoolhouses” June 2012
Featured “The English Church” March 2011
Top ten finalist “Architecture British Isles” July 2010
The priory church of St. Mary and St. Martin is one of the oldest examples of Norman architecture in the country. It was part of a Benedictine monastery founded in 1088. This priory was founded by Roger de Builli of Tickhill Castle, one of William the Conqueror’s followers.
The founder and later benefactors endowed Blyth with lands, money and churches. It was staffed at first by monks from the Mother House, Holy Trinity Priory at Rouen France. In 1286 Thomas Russel had to be returned to Rouen because of his intolerable conduct and also John de Belleville, as the climate did not suit him. There are other records of the unruly conduct of French monks.
During a visitation of the priory in 1536 it was alleged that five of the monks were guilty of grave offences and it was surrendered. George Dalton, the Prior, received a pension of twenty marks, and this seems to have been the only pension awarded. The net annual income at the date of the surrender was £180. (£70,000 as of 2010),1
After the Dissolution the east part of the church was demolished and a tower built at the west end of the nave.(information from Wikipedia)
Canon 50D Sigma 10-20mm