|Small Greeting Card||Large Greeting Card||Postcard|
|4" x 6"||5" x 7.5"||4" x 6"|
All Saint Church Misterton Nottinghamshire
Challenge Winner Churches in “Architecture The British Isles” 9 August 2010
Featured in “Country Churches & Schoolhouses” July 2012
Featured in “Architecture The British Isles” 6 August 2010
Featured in “Christian Churches, Statues and Crosses”
“Featured in “The Weekend Photographer”
History of the Church
The name Misterton, originally (in the 11th century) Minsterton or Ministretone, is normally interpreted as denoting that in pre-Conquest times there was a church served by a community of clergy, a sort of mission centre for the area. Alternatively, it may mean that it was an early dependency of York Minster, but there is no independent evidence for this.
Misterton was mentioned in the Domesday Survey in 1086, there named Munstretton. At that time, it certainly possessed a church. Most of the village was then in the hands of Roger de Busli, or Builli, as part of the large extent of lands, many of them in Nottinghamshire, granted to him by William the Conqueror. Roger died circa 1098, his only surviving son shortly afterwards, and, by grant of Henry l, the Busli estates passed to William de Lovetot, already a major shareholder in Hallamshire, whose ancestors are said to be Busli’s feudal dependants.
At a date traditionally stated as 1103, but more probably 1119, the church of Misterton was one of the endowments given by William de Lovetot to his foundation of Worksop Priory.
Worksop Priory continued to hold some land in Misterton until its dissolution in 1538. But in the first half of the 13th century, the Prior of Worksop, and the Abbott of Newstead Abbey, jointly relinquished Misterton church to the Archbishop of York.
In response to petition from the then Archbishop of York, Alexander Neville, and the Dean and Chapter jointly, permission was given to the Archbishop to make over (appropriate) the church of Misterton for the benefit of the fabric fund for the building of the Minster choir.
The effect was that the rector’s annual income from tithes, etc, went to the Dean and Chapter. Out of this they paid a vicar his fixed stipend, and other parochial expenses, retaining the remainder for the fabric fund. The first appointment of a vicar is recorded in 1403 (1339-1403), and York has exercised the patronage until modern times.
In 1957, the living of Misterton was united with West Stockwith, which was in the patronage of the Bishop of Southwell. Since 1960, the Bishop, and the Dean and Chapter of York, have presented alternately to the United Benefice of Misterton and West Stockwith.
The original church was an ancient stone structure dedicated to All Saints – previously the Saxon title, All Hallows – although there seems a distinct possibility it may at some time have been called the Church of the Holy Cross, or Holy Rood. It evidently had been constructed from the ruins of a former edifice. About 1200, it consisted of a nave, north aisle and chancel, but of this nothing remains other than the western respond of the north arcade of the chancel.
In 1824, a hurricane blew from the church roof about two tons of lead, which, in its fall, broke down the south-east end of the building. This damage was repaired at a cost of £300, raised by a parochial rate, except for £50, which was given by the Dean and Chapter of York. In 1847/48, extensive repairs were carried out by the rebuilding of the north aisle and tower, to which was added the broach spire in place of the parapet and pinnacles of the old tower. This work cost £1247. (There are very few spires in this district. The height of the spire is 100’). Evidence is seen today of ancient fragments in the dog-tooth in the tower windows, stones in part of the broach spire, and in the hung canopies of the spire.
Taken with Canon 50D Sigma 10-20mm
Processed in Photomatix and CS4