Taken on Sunday 25th November 2007. The funny shaped lights to the left hand side of the Sentry are normal trees which are bedecked in lights at this time of the year to commence Edinburgh’s Festive season.
This statue is beside Princes Street in West Princes Street Gardens, opposite the junction with Frederick Street.
It commemorates the Royal Scots Greys who left Edinburgh in 1899 to fight in the South African War. It was unveiled by Lord Rosebery on 16 November 1906.
Sergeant-Major Anthony James Hinnigan and his horse Polly were the models for the Scots Greys Memorial, sculpted by Mr Birnie Rhind in 1906.
Anthony James Hinnigan was born in Jedburgh in 1866 and in 1882, at the age of 16, he joined the Royal Scots Greys. For the next 17 years he served with the Greys on home duty but in September 1899, by now with the rank of Sergeant-Major, he went with the Greys to South Africa when they were mobilized for service in the Second Boer War.
On his return from South Africa in 1904 Sergeant-Major Hinnigan and his horse Polly were selected as the models for Rhind’s Memorial.
Sergeant-Major Hinnigan was discharged from the army in 1911 and became mine host at the Railway Inn at Irvine in Ayrshire."
Liam Harkin, Jedburgh: January 10, 2005