The Hassenplug Covered Bridge was built in 1825 for the Hassenplug family who lived in the nearby brick house, on the north side of Buffalo Creek. The bridge was “modernized” in 1959, when a steel deck was installed inside the original wooden structure. The bridge is officially listed on the US National Register of Historic Places (#38-60-03).
There is an extremely interesting warning sign posted above the entrance. It reads “Any person riding or driving at any gait other than a walk, or driving more than 15 head of cattle, or carrying fire in any way over this bridge are subjected to a fine of Thirty Dollars.”
The Hassenplug is located near the small Pennsylvania town of Mifflinburg and still handles a lot of daily traffic. The bridge has been very well maintained by the Union County Commissioners from the County Seat of Lewisburg, PA, USA.
This photograph was captured with a Canon EOS 5D camera, through a Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L lens at the 40mm focal length. The aperture was f/8 with a 1/30th sec exposure, ISO 400.
© 2012 Gene Walls
All copyright and reproduction rights are retained by the artist. Artwork may not be reproduced or altered by any process without the express written permission of Gene Walls. A copyright watermark is embedded within the image to guarantee successful prosecution, in the event of any violation.