Near Peebles. Taken on a dreary day in September.
Neidpath Castle originally belonged to the Hays of Yester. Probably built for Sir William de Haya, Sheriff of Peebles, who died in 1390. The 3rd Earl succeeded as the 4th Duke of Queensberry, and let Neidpath to tenants. It was sold to the Duke of Queensberry in 1686 and given to his son, the Earl of March. The new owners added gardens and trees to the estate. An earlier castle here belonged to Sir Simon Fraser. It passed by marriage to the Hays in 1312, who built the existing castle. Neidpath was known as Jedderfield until the 16th century.