I found these flowers in front of a pizza place near Pacific Lutheran University in Parkland, Washington. When I got home, however, I discovered how terrible the photo was. The flowers were solid red with no petal delineation and the bricks were the same color. This was the perfect opportunity for me to try a couple of things and just use the photo as a concept. I had just gotten a Rublev Prussian Blue cake of watercolor paint in the mail a couple days earlier and was anxious to try it on something. I really wanted to see the variety of tonalities I could get from the color so I decided I wanted to do a monotone study of the red flowers but in Prussian Blue instead of red (I think Winsor Red would have been close to the original flower color). Obviously the blue flowers were going to really pop out against the red bricks but I forced myself to not pull the flowers back by adding other colors. The original is 10.25″×14″ in size and is painted entirely with Rublev 18th century reproduction watercolor paint on Arches 140# cold-pressed paper. The coarse paper really aided in the texture required for the background bricks.