I had quite a bit of disruption to my normal routine this week which cut into my painting schedule a bit. I didn’t get to devote quite as much time to the creation of this piece as I would have liked due to the death of my 88 year old Grandfather, having to put my 10 year old dog to sleep due to cancer, and having my 2 year old daughter break her collar bone. They are correct when they say bad luck comes in threes. I lost a bit of the spontaneity and excitement that I usually have when painting since I needed to break this piece up into many many small painting session. These flowers, of which I do not know the variety, were found on a hike my family and I took this last weekend in order to get a little exercise. I snapped a quick reference photo and painted this version over the course of several evenings. The original is 21.75″×14.25″ and is painted on Arches 140# cold-pressed paper. I used Rublev 18th century reproduction watercolor paint, Daniel Smith watercolor paint, and Winsor & Newton watercolor paint. The Rublev paint really created some interesting textures in the background when used in conj unction with the Arches coarse paper.
Featured in Painter’s Universe in August 2010.