Daniel Hillman, a Pennsylvania furnaceman, first built a bloomery forge on the banks of Roupes Creek in 1830 later known as Tannehill Iron Works. This water wheel was used to power the Blower House.
During the War Between the States Tannehill provided pig iron to the Confederacy. At the height of production it could turn out 22 tons of iron a day. Tannehill was destroyed on March 31, 1865 as a part of Union General James H. Wilson’s raid on Alabama’s industrial sites.
Today Tannehill is an Alabama State Park.