Tannehill State Park
Daniel Hillman, of Pennsylvania built the original forge on the banks of Roupes Creek in 1830. Hillman died two years later. Ninian Tannehill later took up the forge as a sideline to his farming operation. Between 1859 and 1863, sandstone rocks were transported and stacked to form three tall furnaces. William L. Sanders purchased the operation in 1862 and set about expanding the ironworks.
The furnace melted ore to formed “pigs” of iron which the Confederacy used during the War Between the States. At the height of production Tannehill could turn out 22 tons of iron a day.
On March 31, 1865, three companies of the Eighth Iowa Cavalry swept through the area lead by Union General James H. Wilson and destroyed the furnace.
Tannehill State Park also marks the the end of the Appalachian mountains.