This carved redwood tree is in the gardens of Montacute House and has been nicknamed the ‘totem pole’. Montacute was the home of the Phelips family from the early 17th Century until 1911. The carved top represents a ‘Basket of Flames’ perhaps symbolising the family motto Pro aris et focis a plea for ‘our homes and hearths’. In 1915, the house was taken over by George Nathaniel Curzon (Viceroy of India 1898–1905). Then in 1931 Ernest Cook, the grandson of Thomas Cook (of travel company fame), funded the purchase of Montacute on behalf of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings.