The station was opened in 1888 by the Midland Railway and was taken over by the London, Midland and Scottish railway. Bolton Abbey station has had a long Royal connection. It was the nearest station to the Duke of Devonshire’s Bolton Hall. The hall was very popular with British monarchs such as:
King Edward VII (visited in 1902)
King George V (visited in 1922)
During World War II, an Air-raid shelter was constructed for the Royal family in an air-raid. The last time the royal train came to Bolton Abbey was in 1947. It closed along with the line in March 1965 and the buildings soon became derelict. Following the purchase of the site and associated trackbed by the railway trust in 1995, the station was lovingly restored to its 1888 condition. It was officially re-opened on 1 May 1998 by Sir William McAlpine.
18-55 mm lens
Vintage effect with textures