Dam at the old Tannery/Mill on Kenoza Lake, New York, USA (Sullivan County).
Kenoza Lake (Pike Pond) had begun to develop before the advent of the railroad. The first settler there was a man named Woodruff, who came in from Poughkeepsie in 1812. Other early settlers included Stephen Gidney, who arrived from New Paltz about 1820, and Captain Nathan Moulthrop, a War of 1812 veteran, who came to the area in 1828. In 1833, Eli Beach, William Bonestel, John Bied, and Robert Burger built a tannery there, which was later operated by Gideon Wales for many years.
The tanneries used tannin extracted from the bark of the hemlock trees to treat hides, creating leather for boots, straps, and belts to run the machinery created by the Industrial Revolution. Manufacturers of leather found it more profitable to take the hides for curing to the localities which produced hemlock bark than it was to haul the hides to the leather factories. For many years there was more sole leather produced in Sullivan County than in any other territory of equal extent in the world.
Many of the old tanneries eventually closed and turned to milling paper and pulp.
Composed in Photoshop with original textures.