The date given when this building was erected is 1830, and records indicate that this schoolhouse was already in use prior to 1836.
In those days, as throughout rural America, the school district for this community, known then as Greenfield, included this one room schoolhouse for all eight elementary grades, with one school trustee and one teacher.
All the children of the community attended the one room school. Their number varied yearly but often there were more than 35 attending school. They ranged from the tiny tot, just entering first grade, to the teenager who had advanced to the eighth grade, all taught by the same teacher.
School taxes as late as 1893 ranged from four cents to $8.90; and the school teacher who was usually unmarried, lived either at the home of the trustee or with one of the families in the school district, and received then a salary of $6 a week.
The building was still in use in 1938 but ceased functioning shortly after when it moved to more modern facilities.
Many of those boys and girls continued beyond the Greenfield school to become lawyers, doctors, and surgeons, some of national repute. Many others entered the hotel and resort business and are equally well known in their field of endeavor.
The initial step to restore this schoolhouse was taken by Morris Kanfer, a pupil of this school. With the help of David Levinson and under the guidance and supervision of Ben Miller, both one time students of this school, the project was completed. Aaron Feldherr, postmaster of Greenfield Park was advisor, advocate and secretary-treasurer of the project from its inception.
It was dedicated in June, 1965 and its oldest living pupil, Mary Patmore who was 96 at the time, cut a ribbon marking the official opening of the museum. Another pupil, Dr. Samuel Standard, a prominent surgeon and teacher, delivered the principal address.
This schoolhouse is on the National Registry of Historical Places.
Photographed in Greenfield Park, NY, USA