The Plutarch Methodist Church was built at 10 Black Creek Rd. on the property of John Vandenburgh in April of 1862. In 1871, a “Ladies Aid Society” was formed and organized many charity and social events through the church. Communal gatherings, such as picnics, lawn parties and a “peach and ice cream festival” before the turn of the century were several such events hosted by this group. In 1982, a robbery resulted in the loss of several of the church’s original furnishings and $1,500 worth of goods. However the church continues to be a mainstay of the community and is still in well preserved condition.
Photographed in Plutarch (Highland), New York, USA
The hamlet of Plutarch was once known as “Cold Spring Corners” or “Grawhow (”Great Ridge").