The Port Jervis turntable has a diameter of 115 feet and the bridge, or the part of the structure that holds the locomotive, is approximately 19 feet wide. Previously, it was turned by two 40 horsepower, 440 volt, 3 phase electric motors that were powered from a connection at the top of the gantry. The most recent locomotive that was turned on it weighed 440 tons, or 880,000 pounds, fully loaded with water and coal. It is the largest operating turntable in the United States.
The New York & Erie Railroad was first chartered in April of 1832 to run from Piermont, N.Y. through Port Jervis and on to the shores of Lake Erie. It was to be of a broad six foot gauge. Even though ground was broken in 1835, construction began several years later in 1838 due to a financial panic that gripped the country. It was finally completed in 1851 with the first passenger train passing through Port Jervis on May 14 of that year. On board was President Millard Fillmore and Senator Daniel Webster.In 1859 the name was changed to the Erie Railway and in 1874 to the New York, Lake Erie and Western Railroad. In 1880 the railroad was changed to standard gauge (4 feet 8 1/2 inches). In 1897 the name was changed again, this time to the Erie Railroad which remained until 1960.
Photographed in Port Jervis, New York, USA