The old O&W Caboose and Trout Car at the Roscoe Museum, Roscoe, New York, USA.
The O&W originated in 1868 and lasted until 1957. It carried tourists drawn to the area’s trout fishing, escapees from New York City’s summers and settlers hungry for the Catskills’ beauty.
Roscoe was also a stop on the state-spanning O&W for nearly a century. The last spike was driven into the rails west of town in 1873, and the last train quietly slipped through in 1957. A familiar sight during those eight decades was a boxcar loaded with milk cans. But there was no milk in those cans. At each bridge, the engineer would stop the train and his crew would dump young trout into the waters below.
Trucks and the state have taken over that duty these days (and coincidentally enough, both a truck and the state were needed to bring the trout car to its home). The 1927 Lackawanna coach -not an original O&W trout car, but bearing signs that it once also served as a trolley car in Jersey City, NJ – had been bought by the historical society for $5,000 in 1994
Special trains with “trout cars” used to carry fish from hatcheries in Long Island and upstate New York to stock streams in the area."When they got to a river or a crossing, they stopped and dumped the fish in the stream.
Operated by the Ontario & Western Railway Historical Society on the site of the old Roscoe train station, the museum features an O&W refurbished caboose, the original trout weather vane and train signal, the Cooks Falls and Roscoe watchman’s shanties, and the Beaverkill Trout Car. The museum displays O&W artifacts and memorabilia, and other exhibits showing the impact of the railroad on the community before the trains stopped running in 1957.
For more information on the museum follow this LINK