Happy times and bygone days are ever lost…In truth, they grow more wonderful within the heart that keeps them.
The Napanoch O&W Railway Station:
The 1902 Mission Revival style train depot was built by the New York Ontario and Western Railway (O&W) to bring visitors to the region; to deliver goods to and from area businesses and farms; and to transport inmates to the newly established Eastern New York Reformatory, located adjacent to the station. This branch of the O&W was created in 1902 in response to the abandonment of the nearby Delaware and Hudson Canal. Although passenger service ceased in the early 1940’s, freight service continued through the mid 1950’s, until the O&W’s bankruptcy. The New York State Department of Correctional Services took over custody of the station and renovated it with the assistance of local inmates.
Today, the building contains displays and artifacts devoted to the history of the station and the railway, as well as their relationship to the D&H Canal, the surrounding community, and the prison.
Photographed in Napanoch, NY, USA Textures courtesy of LenaBem-Anna of Flickr