Tarn Hows

Photographic Prints

Size:
Finish:
$7.70
photoshotgun

Joined July 2009

  • Product
    Info
  • Product
    Reviews
  • Available
    Products
    9
  • Artist
    Notes
  • Artwork Comments 12

Sizing Information

Small 12.0" x 4.0"
Medium 18.0" x 5.9"
Large 24.0" x 7.9"
X large 30.0" x 9.9"

Features

  • Superior quality silver halide prints
  • Archival quality Kodak Endura paper
  • Lustre: Professional photo paper with a fine grain pebble texture
  • Metallic: Glossy finish and metallic appearance to create images with exceptional visual interest and depth

Reviews

Wall Art

Home Decor

Bags

Stationery

Artist's Description

Tarn Hows, Cumbria UK!

A tarn (or corrie loch) is a mountain lake or pool, formed in a cirque excavated by a glacier. A moraine may form a natural dam below a tarn. A corrie may be called a cirque.

The word is derived from the Old Norse word tjörn meaning pond. Its more specific use as a mountain lake emerges as it is the commonly used term for all ponds in the mountainous areas of Northern England, particularly Cumbria. Here, it retains a broader use, referring to any small lake or pond, regardless of its location and origin.

Wapedia

Tarn Hows is an area of the Lake District National Park, containing a picturesque tarn, approximately two miles (3.2 km) northeast of Coniston and about one and a half miles (2.5 km) northwest of Hawkshead. It is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the area with over half a million visitors per year in the 1970s and is managed by the National Trust.

Tarn Hows is fed at its northern end by a series of valley and basin mires and is drained by Tom Gill which cascades down over several small waterfalls to Glen Mary bridge: named by John Ruskin who felt that Tom Gill required a more picturesque name and so gave the area the title ‘Glen Mary’.

Location – Lake District
Coordinates - / 54.383°N 3.033°W
Lake type – artificial
Primary outflows – Tom Gill
Basin countries – United Kingdom

Max. length – 971 m
Max. width – 258 m
Surface area – 0.15 km2
Shore length -1 3.1 km
Surface elevation – 180 m
Islands – 5

History

The Tarn Hows area originally contained three much smaller tarns, Low Tarn, Middle Tarn and High Tarn. Wordsworth’s Guide Through the District of the Lakes (1835 edition) recommends walkers to come this way but passes the tarns without mention.

Until 1862 much of the Tarn Hows area was part of the open common grazing of Hawkshead parish. The remaining enclosed land and many of the local farms and quarries were owned by the Marshall family of Monk Coniston Hall (known as Waterhead House at the time). James Garth Marshall (1802-1873) who was the Member of Parliament for Leeds (1847-1852) and third son of the industrialist John Marshall, gained full possession of all of the land after an enclosure act of 1862 and embarked on a series of landscape improvements in the area including expanding the spruce, larch and pine plantations around the tarns; demolition of the Water Head Inn at Coniston; and the construction of a dam at Low Tarn that created the larger tarn that is there today.

By 1899 Tarn Hows was already an important beauty spot. H.S. Cowper mentions “Tarn Hows, beloved by skaters in winter and picnic parties in summer. Here comes every day at least one charabanc load of sightseers from Ambleside or Windermere”. A wooden boat house that was still standing in the 1950s at the south east corner of the tarn probably dated from this period. In 1913 G.D. Abraham said “Tarn Hows is set wildly among larches and heather slopes, more like a highland lake than the other waters in Lakeland… more suitable for pedestrians than motorists”.

In 1930 the Marshall family sold 4000 acres (16 km²) of their land to Beatrix Heelis of Sawrey (better known as Beatrix Potter) for £15000. She then sold the half of this land containing the tarn to the National Trust and bequeathed the other half to them in her will.

Tarn Hows was designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest in 1965.

The National Trust have made a number of more recent changes to the area including moving the car parks to a less obtrusive place in the 1960s and general footpath and road improvements to minimize the damage caused by the visitors. In May 2008 a building designed to harmonise with the landscape was opened, providing toilets and an information display under a sedum roof. [1

Wapedia

Artwork Comments

  • Jadon
  • photoshotgun
  • brimellor1
  • photoshotgun
  • martinappleby
  • photoshotgun
  • Lori Peters
  • photoshotgun
  • Shaun Whiteman
  • photoshotgun
  • 29Breizh33
  • photoshotgun
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10% off

for joining the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.