Canadian Pacific Railway Engine 1095, Confederation Park, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Camera: Canon EOS 5D; Lens: Canon EF-24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM
f/11.0 @ 1/250 sec; ISO 1600; Focal length: 24mm
The 1095 was one of the last batch of 25 units of “Ten Wheeler” Class D10h 4-6-0, built by the Canadian Locomotive Company Ltd. in October, 1913, builder’s serial No 1131. There were some 500 built by CPR at its own Angus Shops in Montreal and by other locomotive builders such as the Montreal Locomotive Works over the previous decade. (Source: City of Kingston website)
Purchased by the Kingston Jaycees through public subscription and presented to the citizens of Kingston on July 1, 1966. The engine was re-named “The Spirit of Sir John A”, in recognition of Canada’s first prime minister.
An interesting footnote to the 1095 story: it was prepared for display by the Canadian Locomotive Co. (CLC), right where it had been built over 50 years earlier. The tracks on Ontario Street were still available, as was the CP yard in front of the K&P station (now the tourist bureau), and so rolling 1095 into place was no problem. (Source: www.engine1095.com)