Gold Hill, UT
The mercantile store was often the social hub of small western towns. This one has a vault at the back, and security bars on the windows and back door, suggesting that it might have offered banking services, as well as groceries and dry goods.
A battered and weathered sign at the heart of town reads:
The town of Gold Hill, established in 1892, was named for a gold bearing mountain just east of town. Gold Hill became famous for its location of many minerals, including silver, gold, copper, lead, tungsten, and arsenic. This first boom died and the area was left behind.
The Deep Creek Railroad was built into Gold Hill in 1917, and the town quicly bloomed. Arsenic was badly needed during WWI to control insects destrroying the cottonfields of the South. Over 3,000 people lived and worked here as stores, a school, a pool hall, and a newspaper flourished. Then, cheaper foreign sources of arsenic became available and the town faded.
WWII reawakened the town, due to high demands of tungsten used in steel and electric filaments. Tons were shipped out until the need was gone and the town of Gold Hill dwindled again.
Please respect private properties of Gold Hill
Canon 350D EOS
Sigma 70-300 mm
Not technically HDR, the effect is the result of adjusting highlight – midtone – shadow. Corel PhotoImpact x3