Sold Medium Framed Print
475 Views 2012-08-25
We had a great tour of the property and then we went for the guided tour of the distillery for about 1hour 20 minutes and ended appropriately with a complimentary dram of the MacAllan.
Built in 1700
According to the carved date-stone above the door, Captain John Grant built Easter Elchies House in 1700. However, the original house on the site, up on the bank of the River Spey, may be a century older.
Grant’s grandson, also named John, inherited Easter Elchies but later sold the estate to the Earl of Findlater and Seafield. In 1811 the deeds passed to Sir Lewis Grant of Grant, and once again the old House was under the ownership of its founding family.
Alexander Reid, a man known for his advanced methods of farming, began renting the house and farm in 1820. He established the first licensed distillery on the site, named ‘Macallan’ after the ancient church nearby. By the time he died in 1847, Reid had earned a reputation for the ‘superior quality’ of his whisky.
Texture in the sky: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lenabem-anna/sets/...
Location: Craigellachie in the Speyside region, Scotland, UK, Scotland.
Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
Shutter Priority: 1/200 sec.
Metering Mode: Evaluative
Copyright: Yannik Hay
Lens: EF16-35mm f/2.8L II USM@16mm
Lightroom 3,3 and Photoshop CS5 64 bits for Mac – Camera Raw 6.6