503 Views 2012-08-25
In 1877 Episcopalians in the area began to hold services in Tain Town Hall.
A year later “an iron church, calculated for 70 people,” was built “at a cost of £179:18:00”. It opened on September 17th, 1878. This temporary church was replaced by the present church, built in 1887 by local craftsmen, using local stone, to a design by Ross and Macbeth of Inverness. The ‘temporary’ iron clad church was moved to Brora in Sutherland and is still in use as an Episcopal Church of this Diocese!
The Rectory, which adjoins the church, was built in 1898 to a design by Alexander Ross.
Much of the woodwork in the church is by Robert Thomson of Yorkshire whose characteristic trade-mark is the mouse. The St Andrew’s ‘mice’ have been described as “running everywhere ”, and the very observant spotter will notice seven of them altogether, hiding on the Lectern, the Pulpit, the Altar Rail, and on the woodwork behind the high altar itself. ref: http://www.standrewstain.co.uk/index.asp?pageid...
Location: King Street, Gladstone House, Highlands and Islands, Tain , Scotland
Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
Shutter Priority: 1/800 sec.
Aperture priority: F/2,8
Metering Mode: Partial
Copyright: Yannik Hay
Lens: Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM@70mm
Photoshop CS5 for Mac – Camera Raw 6,41