26 Top Ten
8960 Views 2015-04-11
Turned to Black and White, that’s all!
There are so many ghosts in Scotland’s castles and I believe it :)
Dunrobin castle, Sutherland clan.
_Dunrobin Castle is a stately home in Sutherland, in the Highland area of Scotland. It is the seat of the Countess of Sutherland and the Clan Sutherland. It is located 1 mile (1.6 km) north of Golspie, and approximately 5 miles (8.0 km) south of Brora, on the Dornoch Firth close to the A9 road. Nearby Dunrobin Castle railway station, on the Far North Line was originally a private station for the castle. Dunrobin’s origins lie in the Middle Ages, but most of the present building is the work of Sir Charles Barry, the architect of the Palace of Westminster in London, who greatly extended the building in 1845. The resulting house has a “French Renaissance meets Scots Baronial” style.
The lands of Sutherland were acquired, before 1211, by Hugh, Lord of Duffus, grandson of the Flemish nobleman Freskin. The Earldom of Sutherland was created around 1230 for Hugh’s son William, and a castle is first recorded on this site in 1401. It was possibly built on the site of an early medieval fort (the dun of the place-name). The earliest castle was a square keep with few, and small, windows, looking out from a cliff top position, probably surrounded by a defensive curtain wall. Each floor of the keep was vaulted. The Earldom passed to the Gordon family in the 16th century. In the 17th century, the keep was extended with the addition of a large house, built around a courtyard to the south-west.
During the Jacobite Rising of 1745, the Jacobites under Charles Edward Stuart stormed Dunrobin Castle without warning, as the Clan Sutherland supported the British government. The 17th Earl of Sutherland, who had changed his surname from Gordon to Sutherland, narrowly escaped them through a back door. He sailed for Aberdeen where he joined the Duke of Cumberland’s army. On the death of the 18th Earl in 1766, the house passed to his daughter Elizabeth, who married the politician George Leveson-Gower, later created 1st Duke of Sutherland. In 1785, the house was altered and extended again.
Sir Charles Barry was retained in 1845 by the 2nd Duke of Sutherland to completely re-model the castle, and to change it from a castle to a house in the “Scottish Baronial” style, that had become popular among the aristocracy. Barry had been the architect for the Palace of Westminster, home to the House of Commons, and was much in demand. The 14th-century tower, and the 17th and 18th-century extensions, were retained, and survive within Barry’s 19th-century work.
In 1915 the building was in use as a naval hospital, when fire damaged much of the interior. Scottish architect Sir Robert Lorimer was engaged to renovate the house following the First World War. When the 5th Duke died in 1963, the Earldom and the house went to his niece, the current Countess of Sutherland, while the Dukedom had to pass to a male heir, and went to John Egerton, Earl of Ellesmere. Between 1965 and 1972, the house became a boy’s boarding school. Since 1973 the house and grounds have been open to the public, with private accommodation retained for the use of the Sutherland family._ ref: Wikipedia
Location: Golspie, Sutherland, Scotland, UK
Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
Shutter: 1/125 sec
Metering Mode: Partial
Copyright: Yannik Hay
Lens: Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L IS II USM@35mm
Photoshop CS5 for Mac – Camera Raw 6.2