Fountain - Musée du Louvre - Paris

Yannik Hay

Gatineau/Ottawa, Canada

Artist's Description

10 Features
17 Favs
744 Views
2014-07-17

  • Featured in 100% Themes Gallore on 2013-12-10
  • Featured in Superbly Visual on 2013-09-16
  • Featured in Canon DSLR on 2013-09-14
  • Featured in All Water in Motion and Reflections on 2013-09-15
  • Featured in Everyday Women on 2013-09-15
  • Featured in All Things Photography on 2013-09-15
  • Featured in International Showcase on 2013-09-14
  • Featured in International Women’s Photography on 2013-09-14
  • Featured in Avant-Garde Art on 2013-09-13
  • Featured in Live, Love, Dream on 2013-09-13
    The Musée du Louvre (French pronunciation: ​[myze dy luvʁ])—in English, the Louvre Museum or simply The Louvre—is one of the world’s largest museums, and an historic monument. A central landmark of Paris, France, it is located on the Right Bank of the Seine in the 1st arrondissement (district). Nearly 35,000 objects from prehistory to the 21st century are exhibited over an area of 60,600 square metres (652,300 square feet). With more than 8 million visitors each year, the Louvre is the world’s most visited museum.5
    The museum is housed in the Louvre Palace (Palais du Louvre) which began as a fortress built in the late 12th century under Philip II. Remnants of the fortress are visible in the basement of the museum. The building was extended many times to form the present Louvre Palace. In 1682, Louis XIV chose the Palace of Versailles for his household, leaving the Louvre primarily as a place to display the royal collection, including, from 1692, a collection of ancient Greek and Roman sculpture.6 In 1692, the building was occupied by the Académie des Inscriptions et Belles Lettres and the Académie Royale de Peinture et de Sculpture, which in 1699 held the first of a series of salons. The Académie remained at the Louvre for 100 years.7 During the French Revolution, the National Assembly decreed that the Louvre should be used as a museum, to display the nation’s masterpieces.
    The museum opened on 10 August 1793 with an exhibition of 537 paintings, the majority of the works being royal and confiscated church property. Because of structural problems with the building, the museum was closed in 1796 until 1801. The size of the collection increased under Napoleon and the museum was renamed the Musée Napoléon. After the defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo, many works seized by his armies were returned to their original owners. The collection was further increased during the reigns of Louis XVIII and Charles X, and during the Second French Empire the museum gained 20,000 pieces. Holdings have grown steadily through donations and gifts since the Third Republic. As of 2008, the collection is divided among eight curatorial departments: Egyptian Antiquities; Near Eastern Antiquities; Greek, Etruscan, and Roman Antiquities; Islamic Art; Sculpture; Decorative Arts; Paintings; Prints and Drawings. ref: Wikipedia
    Cross-processing
    Location: Paris, France
    Date: 2010-09-29
    Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Lens: Canon EF16-35mm f/2.8L II USMx@32mm
    ISO: 320
    Shutter: 1/250 sec
    Aperture Priority: F/8
    Metering Mode: Evaluative Metering
    Copyright: Yannik Hay
    Photoshop CS6 32 bits for Mac – Camera Raw 7.3

Artwork Comments

  • Janone
  • Yannik Hay
  • © Hany G. Jadaa © Prince John Photography
  • Yannik Hay
  • © Hany G. Jadaa © Prince John Photography
  • Yannik Hay
  • Johanna26
  • Yannik Hay
  • John44
  • Yannik Hay
  • Carol Knudsen
  • Yannik Hay
  • myraj
  • Yannik Hay
  • Charmiene Maxwell-Batten
  • Yannik Hay
  • AngieDavies
  • Yannik Hay
  • Heloisa Castro
  • Yannik Hay
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10%off for joining

the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.