© photogenique (dave peddie): using this image for any purpose and in any way, without prior permission, may lead to legal action.
The Hanukkah Lights were situated in front of Liverpool’s Historic St. George’s Hall, which has recently undergone a huge £23m restoration, being re-opened on 23rd April 2007.
St George’s Hall opened its doors to the public in 1854, and has been a central feature of Liverpool’s architecture ever since. It has been called, ‘The best example of Neo-Classical architecture in Europe’.
The idea for the hall came from Liverpool citizens who were concerned about the lack of a place for the triennial music festivals. To fund it a subscription list was set up with shares available at £25 each and by January 1837 £23,350 had been raised.
Its architect was Harvey Lonsdale Elmes, who was only 25 at the time he won the competition to design the building.