The village of Leigh was first recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as “Legra”, a small fishing hamlet. By the 16th century it had grown considerably to become a prosperous port. Many ships were built in Leigh, including many for the local fishing fleets.
By the 18th century with its deep water channel silted up, the town diminished and slipped back to being a small fishing village. It has always been a popular sailing venue and is currently under-going a small renaissance as buildings are refurbished and tourists attracted back.