|Small Greeting Card||Large Greeting Card||Postcard|
|4" x 6"||5" x 7.5"||4" x 6"|
This old horse drawn timber tram above Triplet Falls, still stands on the site of
Knotts No 1 Mill
The area surrounding Triplet Falls was once
home to Knotts No 1 sawmill. This mill was one
of the largest of the many timber mills that began
operation after the Colac-Beech Forest-Crowes
railway opened up the rugged and remote west
Otways in 1902.
The mill started in 1908 and was operated from
1909, by a Melbourne timber merchant, G.W.
Knott. He sold it to the War Service Homes
Commission in 1920.
The mill processed over 3,600 tons of Mountain
Ash per year producing timber for the homes of
servicemen returning from World War One.
Now that the forest has reclaimed the site it is
hard to imagine the industry that was sustained
here for more than 20 years.
Pentax istDS Camera. Three exposures bracketed to create an HDR image.